Signs that Your Electrical System Needs to be Upgraded
28 August 2020
If you decide to acquire a vintage property, you must have considered the downsides that comes with it. For one, it is not a property that is easy and convenient to maintain. Plumbing problems, outdated and stained upholstery and landscaping issues are just some of the few things you might have to resolve when it comes to an older home.
Aside from the abovementioned issues, there is one thing that is often overlooked, be it a vintage or a modern home. Most people have this idea that an electrical system is in its best condition when it is functional. There is no need to do anything if everything works, they say. But as a responsible homeowner, you must know the signs to watch so you could prevent further problems. Below are signs that your electrical system needs to be upgraded.
There are certain times when you feel like your switches are unusually hot to touch. Most homeowners ignore such scenarios keeping in mind that it might cool soon enough and it normally happens due to the electric current. However, you must watch out for this particular warning sign because this might entail an electrical overload problem. Faulty switches typically draw more electricity causing the surface to heat up. The heat could damage electrical components and if neglected this could cause a house fire.
Dirty and Damaged Outlets
Since outlets encounter direct contact from time to time, you cannot discount the possibility of dirt and grime accumulation. If this is the case, it could easily be resolved with a simple wiping. However, this might not always be the case. Damaged outlets may appear as dirty but if it isn’t cleaned by a simple wiping it might be an aftermath of a small fire inside the walls. If outlets are damaged, it is only a matter of time before a small fire happens again. Upgrade your electrical system before it is too late.
Circuit Breaker Trips
Circuit breakers are there for a reason. It mainly protects the circuit from overloads by stopping or tripping before any of the excess electricity causes further damage. Although, tripping indicates a functional circuit breaker, too much of such would signify wiring and electrical panel problems. If your circuit breaker trips more than the usual, it might mean that your electrical system does not match the voltage requirement of your appliances.
High Utility Bills
It is safe to assume that your electric consumption is reflected accurately in your energy bills. However, you must not be certain about that all the time. You should also take note of how you use your utilities in order to check if they are accurately reading your electrical consumption. If you have higher than normal energy bills, you should check your electrical system for faulty wiring. Faulty wiring could take more electricity than what is required by your appliances, thus increasing your electrical consumption.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au